California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation Sergeant Gilbert Cortez (ODMP photo)
Vehicle veered out of control and overturned killing both inside.
FEATURED IN NEWS
- Justice Department Clears Officer in Ferguson Case
- Georgia Officer Killed in Ambush
- Boston Marathon Bombing Trial Begins
- Justice Department Alleges Patterns of Discrimination in Ferguson Department
- White House Considers Ammunition Ban for Officer Protection
- Officer-Involved Shooting in Los Angeles
- Congress Passes One-Week Funding of Homeland Security
Sergeant Gilbert Cortez and K9 Mattie were killed in an automobile accident Route 79, near San Felipe Road, in San Diego County.
Sergeant Cortez was part of a convoy of state corrections K9 officers who were en route to inspect the La Cima Fire Camp in a rural part of the county. His marked vehicle veered off the roadway and overturned, killing K9 Mattie. Sergeant Cotez was transported to a local fire station but died before a helicopter could reach him.
Sergeant Cortez had served with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation for 23 years and was assigned to the Southern Regional K-9 Unit. He is survived by his wife, two children, and parents.
Please contact the following agency to send condolences or to obtain funeral arrangements:
Secretary of Corrections Jeffrey A. Beard
California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation
PO Box 942883
Sacramento, CA 94283
Phone: (916) 445-4950