Pontiac Officer Casey Kohlmeier and K9 'Draco" (ODMP photo)
FEATURED IN NEWS
- Judge Rejects Restriction Order on Maine Nurse
- Two Arizona Officers Killed in Crashes
- California Officer Remembered as Loving Father, Son
- Violent Attack on D.C. Officer
- Pennsylvania Ambush Suspect Captured, Cuffed with Slain Trooper's Handcuffs
- Arizona Detention Officer Fatally Shoots Inmate in Struggle
- Naloxone Given to Illinois Police Departments
PONTIAC — The Bloomington Pantagraph is reporting that a Pontiac police officer and his K9 were killed in an accident late Wednesday night.
Mayor Bob Russell confirmed the report this morning and the Pontiac Police Department is expected to issue a press release later with more information.
The name of the officer has not been released.
The incident occurred on Interstate 55 at approximately 9:30 p.m.
Police Officer Casey Kohlmeier and his canine, Draco, were killed when their patrol car was struck by another vehicle on I-55, near mile 201, at approximately 9:30 pm.
Their patrol car was in a median turnaround when another vehicle left the northbound lanes and struck them during a period of heavy rain. Officer Kohlmeier and K9 Draco both suffered fatal injuries in the collision. The driver of the other vehicle survived.
Officer Kohlmeier had served with the Pontiac Police Department for six years and was assigned to the Livingston County Proactive Unit. He is survived by his parents.
Please contact the following agency to send condolences or to obtain funeral arrangements:
Chief of Police Jim Woolford
Pontiac Police Department
115 W Howard Street
Pontiac, IL 61764
Phone: (815) 844-5148
- Pantagraph: Pontiac police officer killed in accident
- Chicago Tribune: Pontiac police officer killed in crash
- WLS: Pontiac officer killed in I-55 crash
- CIProud: Pontiac Police Officer Killed in Traffic Accident